Here's the Horse Sense: As usual we have an administration out of control with no one holding them accountable. The president is now taking advantage of the unbridled power the legislative branch has allowed him and is now moving even further to trample the rights of Americans. If this stands it will be the end of the First Amendment.
This president not only continues down the unconstitutional path of allowing the IRS to target conservatives, he is increasing those actions through new regulations that would end First Amendment rights for Americans.
It has been said that the president not only violates the law, he abuses and ignores it. And this arrogance is fed by the legislative branch of our government not doing their constitutional duty to hold him accountable.
In an article for WND, attorney Matt Barber goes into detail about how Obama now plans to go even further in muzzling conservative groups. In his article Barber explains how the president with "jaw-dropping gall," has now taken action to shut up conservative groups permanently. He writes:
"Despite the furor over the IRS assault on conservative groups leading up to the 2012 elections, this man [Obama] – a despotic radical who’s turned our constitutional republic into one of the banana variety – has quietly released a proposed set of new IRS regulations that, if implemented, will immediately, unlawfully and permanently muzzle conservative 501(c)(4) nonprofit organizations and their individual employees. (The 501(c)(4) designation refers to the IRS code section under which social welfare organizations are regulated).
"The new regulations would unconstitutionally compel a 90-day blackout period during election years in which conservative 501(c)(4) organizations – such as tea-party, pro-life and pro-family groups – would be banned from mentioning the name of any candidate for office, or even the name of any political party."
Barber goes on to point out that left-wing groups like labor unions, trade associations and liberal lobbying groups are exempted. This gives them freedom to say and do things to impact elections that conservatives will not be allowed to do. Conservative groups will not be allowed to use words like "vote," "oppose," or defeat." The article goes into more detail saying:
Specifically, here’s what the proposed regulations would do to conservative groups and their leaders:
- Prohibit using words like “oppose,” “vote,” “support,” “defeat,” and “reject.”
- Prohibit mentioning, on its website or on any communication (email, letter, etc.) that would reach 500 people or more, the name of a candidate for office, 30 days before a primary election and 60 days before a general election.
- Prohibit mentioning the name of a political party, 30 days before a primary election and 60 days before a general election, if that party has a candidate running for office.
- Prohibit voter registration drives or conducting a non-partisan “get-out-the-vote drive.”
- Prohibit creating or distributing voter guides outlining how incumbents voted on particular bills.
- Prohibit hosting candidates for office at any event, including debates and charitable fundraisers, 30 days before a primary election or 60 days before the general election, if the candidate is part of the event’s program.
- Restrict employees of such organizations from volunteering for campaigns.
- Prohibit distributing any materials prepared on behalf a candidate for office.
- Restrict the ability of officers and leaders of such organizations to publicly speak about incumbents, legislation, and/or voting records.
- Restrict the ability of officers and leaders of such organizations to make public statements regarding the nomination of judges.
- Create a 90-day blackout period, on an election year, that restricts the speech of 501(c)(4) organizations.
- Declare political activity as contrary to the promotion of social welfare.
- Protect labor unions and trade associations by exempting them from the proposed regulations.
Mr. Barber's article continues quoting Mat Staver, chairman of Liberty Counsel Action: “We would even be prohibited from criticizing the federal bureaucracy. If this new set of regulations goes into effect, Liberty Counsel Action – all conservative 501(c)(4)s for that matter – will be forbidden to ‘oppose’ or ‘support’ anything in the political arena and we’ll be prohibited from conducting our ‘get-out-the vote’ campaigns or issuing our popular voter guides.
“Further,” continue Staver, “individual employees of conservative groups will be banned from speaking or messaging on incumbents, legislation, and/or voting records – or speaking on the nominations of judges or political nominees being considered by the Senate. This also includes taking on state and local politicians.”
It's quite simple. If this stands, this will be the end of freedom of speech, the end of the First Amendment. You won't be allowed to say what you think. And you can be sure that if that stands, the next thing will be reprogramming how you think. You will not be allowed to think any other way than that which is determined to be acceptable by the government. In fact, if you go back just a few posts of mine to this post, you'll see they are already trying to reprogram the way some citizens think and believe.
2014 is critical for the survival of America as we have known it. There is no longer time to sit back and not take action. It's time for Americans to rise up and elect new politicians to Congress to replace the worthless mob we have there that do not hold this president and his administration accountable.
You may get upset. You may get angry. You may say you'll never allow it. But if you are not actively doing something about it right now, then you are doing nothing and we will lose America. It's our last chance.
At the end of his article Mr. Barber provides important links. The first is a link for filing a public comment about this proposed regulation. These are due by Feb. 27, 2014. The second is a link to a petition to a Senate committee. Don't miss your opportunity to speak out. You may not be allowed to in the future if you miss this chance. You can get to Mr. Barber's article by clicking here.